Ten Free Ways to Save Energy in Honor of Energy Efficiency Day
September 29, 2023
October 4, 2023, is national Energy Efficiency Day a collaborative effort between regional and national organizations, businesses, utilities, and individuals working to promote energy efficiency.
In recognition of Energy Efficiency Day, Efficiency Smart offers the following ten tips to save energy and money at no cost:
- Manage Your Thermostat. Adjusting your thermostat just a few degrees can help lower your electric usage.
- Clean it Out. Cleaning your refrigerator can increase airflow and keep your refrigerator running efficiently.
- Remember Closing Time. Drawing your curtains or shades at night can reduce the chill from cold windows.
- Put it in Reverse. Running your fans clockwise as the weather gets colder can help distribute heated air, allowing you to turn the thermostat down a few degrees. Just make sure to remember to turn off the fan if you are leaving the room.
- Turn it Off. Switching off your lights and electronics when not in use helps to reduce wasted energy.
- Clean in Cold. Washing your clothes in cold water reduces the energy your washer uses by half.
- Say Goodbye to Lint. Cleaning the clothes dryer lint filter after each use improves air circulation and increases your dryer’s efficiency.
- Make Sunshine Your Friend. Opening the curtains of your south-facing windows during the day will allow the sun to naturally warm your home.
- Clear the Way. Making sure all air registers and vents are clear of furniture ensures that air can circulate freely in your home.
- Use Full Loads. Washing full loads, whether for clothes or dishes, saves the energy used compared to multiple small washes.
Efficiency Smart offers business and residential energy efficiency services to customers of participating municipal electric systems. More information about the services and financial incentives available through Efficiency Smart can be found at www.efficiencysmart.org or by calling 877-889-3777.
To learn more about Energy Efficiency Day, visit www.energyefficiencyday.org