Save Energy and Money During the Warmer Months
April 19, 2021
April 22 is Earth Day, and taking steps to save energy is a great way to celebrate. Efficiency Smart offers the following earth-friendly tips that can help you reduce your energy use and save money during the warmer months of the year.
- Seal air leaks and gaps — Caulking and adding weather stripping prevents conditioned air from leaking out.
- Use a fan when you can — Using fans allows you to raise your thermostat about four degrees without reducing your comfort level.
- Grill outdoors — Cooking outside avoids trapping extra heat in your kitchen and reduces the need for your air conditioner to run.
- Don’t forget about your windows — Keeping your blinds and curtains closed during the day helps keep the heat out and opening your windows on cooler nights can give your air conditioner a break.
- Light your home efficiently — Replacing lightbulbs you use for more than three hours a day with LEDs can save you $15 annually per bulb.
- Turn electronics off — Turning off lights, televisions and other electronics when leaving a room is an easy way to save energy.
- Service your air conditioning system — Having a professional perform routine maintenance can keep your system functioning efficiently.
- Don’t skip your spring clean— Cleaning tasks can help reduce energy use:
- Clean dust from under your fridge and any exposed coils in the back
- Clear lint from the exhaust hose and the filter of your clothes dryer
- Dust bathroom ceiling fan covers and ceiling fan blades
- Clear exterior vents of any dust, webs, leaves or lint
- Change your furnace air filter if it’s dirty
Efficiency Smart offers business and residential energy efficiency services to customers of participating municipal electric systems. More information about the services and financial incentives available through Efficiency Smart can be found at www.efficiencysmart.org or by calling 877-889-3777.