City of Bowling Green Introduces Community Energy Savings, a Smart Thermostat Program
June 29, 2023
The City of Bowling Green is now offering Community Energy Savings, a voluntary smart thermostat program designed to reduce the cost of electricity for the community. Bowling Green Municipal Utilities’ electric customers who choose to participate in the program will earn $55 for successfully enrolling in the program.
When Bowling Green Municipal Utilities purchases power, the cost is partially based on the periods of highest energy consumption from the previous year. By enrolling in the Community Energy Savings program, customers can help decrease the demand for electricity during times of peak usage. This helps keep electric costs down for the entire community.
How Bowling Green’s Community Energy Savings Program works:
- Purchase an eligible, Wi-Fi-connected thermostat if you don’t already have one (view eligible thermostats)
- Install the thermostat and enroll it in the program (only electric customers of Bowling Green Municipal Utilities may participate in the program)
- Receive a $55 e-gift card for successfully enrolling in the program
- Bowling Green Municipal Utilities may make remote adjustments to participants’ thermostats during periods of high electric demand between May 1 and September 30
- Bowling Green Municipal Utilities will adjust the enrolled thermostats by no more than four degrees and for no longer than four hours
- Participants always have control over their thermostat and may opt out of an adjustment event by changing their thermostat settings
- Customers who maintain their enrollment in the program will be entered for a chance to win a $250 e-gift card at the end of each summer season
In addition to the $55 reward for successfully enrolling, Bowling Green Municipal Utilities’ electric customers are eligible for up to a $100 rebate on qualifying, newly purchased thermostats through Efficiency Smart’s Home Energy Rebates program. Qualifying thermostats can also be purchased through Efficiency Smart’s Online Savings Store with the rebate already applied to the purchase price. Visit www.efficiencysmart.org/bowling-green-ohio for information.
For more information about Bowling Green’s Community Energy Savings Program or to enroll, visit https://enrollmythermostat.com/amp-community-energy-savings or contact us at [email protected].