Celebrate Earth Day by Saving Energy
April 24, 2017
Saturday, April 22, marks the 47th Earth Day. To celebrate, Efficiency Smart offers the following tips to increase your home’s comfort in the warmer months while also saving energy and money:
- Enjoy the fresh air: Open windows during milder spring temperatures and during cooler summer nights. This can help naturally cool your home without having to switch on your air conditioner. Just remember to shut the windows when it is time to use air conditioning.
- Let the sun shine: Let the
sun lightyour home naturally during daylight hours in the spring.
- Light the night efficiently: Replace incandescent
lightbulbswith ENERGY STAR® certified LEDs. Not only will this save on lighting costs, but it can also reduce extra heat in your home. Only 10 to 15 percent of electricity consumed by incandescent bulbs results in light, the rest produces heat and will make your air conditioner work harder.
- Seal air leaks and gaps: Caulking and weatherstripping your home are two simple and cost-effective air-sealing techniques that offer a quick return on investment. This can help keep conditioned air from leaking
out,and keep warm air from leaking in.
- Don’t forget the simple stuff: Turn off all lights,
appliancesand electronicsnot in use. Use an advanced power strip to help turn off multiple devices that aren’t in use at once.
- Advance savings on air conditioning: Raise the temperature on your thermostat when you’re away from home for more than a couple hours to save on cooling costs and consider purchasing an advanced thermostat. These thermostats can automatically adjust the temperature based on outside weather conditions and your schedule, and you can also adjust them remotely.
- Grill out: Take advantage of the warmer weather and use an outdoor grill instead of an indoor oven. This will help keep the heat out of your home.
- Be a fan of fans: Save on your air conditioning costs while keeping the same level of comfort by using your ceiling fan and raising the thermostat around four degrees. Make sure to turn off the ceiling fans when you leave, as fans cool people, and not rooms.
- April showers keeping you indoors: Watch movies more efficiently using a computer or DVD player. Game consoles use up to 24 times the power of DVD players and up to seven times more than Blu-Ray players. Streaming online video through a game console can also use up to ten times more energy than other devices, according to ENERGY STAR.
- Spring clean around your home: Cut your energy costs by getting better performance from your appliances.
- Clean dust from under your fridge and any exposed coils at the back
- Clear lint from the exhaust hose and filter of your clothes dryer
- Dust the bathroom ceiling fan covers and fan blades
- Take a look outside for any accessible exterior vents and clear them of any dust, webs, leaves or lint
- If needed, change your furnace filter one last time so you’ll be ready for summer air conditioning
- Make sure your air vents are not blocked by furniture, carpeting, or drapes so your home can be cooled efficiently
- Watch your savings bloom: If it is time to replace your existing appliances, consider purchasing ENERGY STAR certified products to save on energy costs. Efficiency Smart offers rebates on qualified products to help participating customers save even more money.
For information about services and financial incentives available to customers of municipal electric systems that participate in Efficiency Smart, visit www.efficiencysmart.org or call 877-889-3777.